The Official Man Cave Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satellite Splitter

2 posters

Go down

Satellite Splitter Empty Satellite Splitter

Post  Aaron Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:16 am

I have a satellite connection with Direct Tv. I am planning on adding a second tv into the cave. I have a HD receiver in the cave hooked up to the main tv, I also have a standard receiver(which will be upgraded to an hd receiver soon) in the living room upstairs. Can i split the reception from the tv upstairs to the second tv downstairs? If so is there a way to do it so i will not have to have the same channel on both tv's? I am trying this method because if I had to get a receiver for the second tv it would cost me an extra 5 dollars a month, which I would like to avoid if possible. If anyone has some thoughts please let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron

Back to top Go down

Satellite Splitter Empty Re: Satellite Splitter

Post  Blake Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:13 pm

A satellite tuner can only output one signal per tuner at a time. Dish has dual (and now maybe triple) tuner boxes which allows one box to control more than one TV. The advantage is fewer boxes = fewer expenses. For them anyway. Don't know if Direct has caught up.

Anyway I cheated the system at my cave by buying a high frequency splitter at Radio Shack ran it off one of my dual tuner units splitting a signal that is now shared by two TV's that would almost never be on at the same time. Works well, something you might want to try. They call it mirroring a set.

If that's not a good deal for you, I've negotiated with Dish for extras at contract time. Try it with Direct, works good if you're up for renewal.

Blake

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum