The Official Man Cave Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opportunity of a lifetime

3 posters

Go down

Opportunity of a lifetime Empty Opportunity of a lifetime

Post  earnhardtjunkie Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Excited wouldn't begin to explain things right now. bounce I got an email from one of my idols involving sports photography yesterday with an opportunity of a lifetime.

I have admired and studied the work of acclaimed Sports Photographer Mark Rebilas. You can find his work on his BLOG or US Presswire where his images can be found in Sports Illustrated, ESPN.com, ESPN the Magazine, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times and Yahoo Sports. He and I have shared many emails over the past year or so and yesterday I get an email from him that I begin training under his tutilage at the Las Vegas NASCAR event in a little over a week. At first it was shock, ok, I am still shocked but to get the chance to train with the best in the buisness is mind numbing and honestly I am a bit nervous.

I couple years back in 2006, my wife and I were able to obtain Media passes and shot the NASCAR event in Phoenix, we had inferior equipment compared to now but I am still proud of what we were able to pull off back then.

This time with Mark will be a bit a hell of a lot different. I have a understanding what to expect this time, I have learned where I could have done better from the last shoot, far better equipment then I had back in 2006, I am being trained by an estabished Professional and this time I have a Hot Pass (which bascially means I have exclusive access).

My wife and I started Butterfield Photography 2 years ago, it's been my hobby for over 20 years but I wanted to take it to the next level. My current profession keeps me away from my equipment for months on end but Maria has blossomed into her own as a Wedding Photographer and making her own strong mark in the business. It has been a dream of mine to be a Sports/Event Photographer but I am also interetsed in Editorial. I am going to do my best not to choke and make the best of an oppotunity of a lifetime to shoot and be trained by the best. With any luck...... you may see some of my work next weekend in Vegas on the net (besides my site) watch any of the publications mentioned above, you never know.

I'll keep everyone posted in here, on my Blog and my new Facebook page of next weekends deal.....

MIKE YOST..... that much closer buddy.... that much damn closer........ Cool
earnhardtjunkie
earnhardtjunkie

http://www.butterfieldphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Opportunity of a lifetime Empty Re: Opportunity of a lifetime

Post  lucky luke Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 am

pirat CONGRATS MAN!!! Well done in your pursuit of the dream. Does this mean you are back in civilization for good or just an extended R & R? Do well mi amigo.

lucky luke

Back to top Go down

Post  earnhardtjunkie Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks Luke. This all happens on the back end of R&R and won't be a ticket home by any means.... yet so this is more of a chance to gauge where I am at skill set wise and see on the spot where I need to improve. After each day, Mark will sit down with me and shred my work, critique it very hard and show me where I blew this shot or that; I have thick skin and quite frankly I am looking forward to him tearing my work apart and bloodying my nose a bit. My weakness is with post processing software for sure so learning the "tricks of the trade" and solid processing techniques and work flows.

But this as a chance to get my foot in the door and work side by side with the industry's best and gauge a timeframe from there. I consider myself ahead of the curve by getting to bring my equipment and shoot, whereas I was willing to labor equipment, bags and being a card runner so thats a good thing but I am a micro planner by nature and I am hesitant to even consider this Phase 1 just yet.

I am planning on several more "ride alongs" as a Student/Intern before I will be able to set off on my own, working with the HUGE publications mentioned above there are many people to meet, impressions to make and so on..... but I am confident I'll make this work mainly because I am stubborn and refuse to fail.

I'll keep Ya'll posted.
earnhardtjunkie
earnhardtjunkie

http://www.butterfieldphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Robert,

I'm so happy for you! What a gig! Photography and NASCAR in the same day. What a mind blower! I know you'll do well, your work is fantastic!

Look forward to hearing all about it. If there is anything we can do here at ManCaveSite.org, just let us know.

Cave On!

Mike
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://mancaveforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down